Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 9, 2011

"" A Trip Down Memory Lane " By Larry Koon

I beleive there comes a time in everyone's life, where they get the urge  to return to their roots,the town they grew up in .I remember my mother wanting to do just that in 1997 just a year before she passed away ,

As we drove down old  route #21 leading  to Ripley.West Virginia on that hot July afternoon in 1997,I  couldn;t help  but wander back to the year's growing up there in the early 1950s, They were good times, But I remember mostly the hard times, especially for my mother  who had to raise five kid's on her own ,working  at the City Hotel and Resturant in Ripley for $3.00 day.

Back in those day's. there  wasn't any help for anyone  like there is today, no one ever heard of welfare or food-stamps, or  even a  food pantry . I remember lot of nights going to bed hungrier than the night before . for my dad had failed to send my  mother's sixty  dollars a month alimony check .

Today I still believe at christmas time if you have a nice warm place to live and lots of food on the table your not doing to bad at all. and i truly believe  having it real hard back then, just make;s you appreciate what you have today,

As we drove down the main street of Ripley, there stood what was once the Old Alpine Theatre all boarded up. I remember my late twin brother Gary and I  as kids going there many Saturday afternoon;s to see Gene Autry and Roy Roger;s on the silver screen for 15 cents,  the same theatre  where the Myer's boys would usually get thrown out of  for hollering out  during the movie "Look out Roy he's behind the Rock'

Sitting right next to the theatre was once Flayo Miller;s Barbershop, I remember many Saturday morning;s  getting a flat top there, , or my hair into a duck tail  just like Elvis wore his hair for the price of 75 cents. which was considered  a lot of money back then ,

Sitting directly across the street  from the barbershop stood the Jackson County Courthouse , known all over the world today  for its famous outside fourth of July celebration  every year. Some of the biggest stars down through the years in show business have  appeared there on a bandstand  built alongside the court house. I remember one year the  Ripley Chief of Police named Whitehouse  giving Gene Autry a ticket for riding his horse on the sidewalk, As I think about it , maybe it was just to get Autry's   valuable autograph ,  I remember one year on july 4th  my twin brother Gary riding in the fourth of july parade   with tv's   famous "Sky King"along with his girl friend  Penny Flesher from Ripley   who;s dad was emcee of the parade,

As we drove further up Main Street there once stood  O.J. Morrison;s  Candy Store, I rememered buying several  bags of glass marbles  off old man O,J, for five cents in 1957 , and ending up loosing them in a game   with Rusty Rowley  on the playground  at Ripley Grade School at recess time .  many of those glass  marbles  orginally made by Akro Agate  Company  of Clarksburg,W,va  are  worth hundred's of dollars
 today,  I.m sure many of those  marble's  could be found right  today if you would dare  dig around   on what is now the Ripley Police Department,

After touring the Main Streets of Ripley on that hot July afternoon in 1997, We drove over on "Old Ravenswood Pike"  better known as "Green Acres"  where I orginally grew up. and moved  away  from in 1959,

As we pulled into the driveway  of the old homeplace , which looked alot better than when we once lived there, a dog  came running up the hill  to greet us just like my dog Lassie did every evening as a kid coming home from school,

Standing on the front Porch of the home that  hot   afternoon was the owner of the home welcomeing  us to come right on in , , As I entered the living room I couldn't  help but notice the  window I would stand knee high  looking out of  for hours hoping to see my Dad's truck  coming back  up the road ,remembering the day he left  telling us   he would be  back someday ,

 Standing there in the living room I could   still hear my oldest  brother repeating himself, when i get big enought to work ,Im not going to be poor, Im going to have lots of money, Im going to   own a cadilac  and a brand  new home . That dream did come true for my oldest brother  in later years, but he didn;t live long enought   to really enjoy it , dying at the age of 49,

AS we left the old home place that  July  afternoon, the lady  of the house said  your'e welcome to stay for supper,  We told her we had eaten,

Driving back down old route #21   toward Parkersburg, I couldnt help to  wander once again   back to the year 1963. I was  living on Laird avenue in Parkersburg,W.va,   Late one evening a knock came on  the door ,  It was my dad telling me to let him in , When I opened the door  there was no one there, The next day my brother  happened  to be reading  the newspaper  and just happened  to read the obituaries , my dad had died the night before  in Wirt County W.Va   around the time he had  knocked at my door .   The day he left   he promised he would be back someday , I wanna beleive  more than anything that he kept his word after all.









1 comment:

  1. great article larry.some of the things we go through in life does make us a lot stronger, sorry you had to experience it. S.R. Mineral wells. wva

    ReplyDelete