Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 14, 2011

"The Johnson Estate" By Larry Koon

Standing there on the front porch of the  old Johnson estate trying to figuire out which key would  unlock the front door. I couldn't  help  think about the old lady that once lived there, I remembered seeing her  only a few days before live and well  on the Putnam Street Bridge in Marietta as I often did . out walking her dog, never once failing to hit me up  for loose change  for a pack of cigarettes.
As the right key turned the lock  in the stained glass door leading into a musty hallway.  A siamese cat  ran out from underneath  an old Regency chaise lounge,  The lounge most likely ,had been sitting there  collecting dust  and cat hair  since the early 1800s when the deceased  woman's parents orginally lived in the house,   A lounge valued at around $2000  which  was later purchased at  the estate sale  by the late Terry Gardner. a Marietta Antiques dealer   for $800

As I entered the living room  of the home , there sat a beautiful Chippendale  Mahogany back sofa  which looked as though it had never been sat on  except by  the cat, in excellent condition  valued at around $5500. Along the living room  wall stood an  early 19th century  mahogany book case with beautiful glazed doors. valued at $3000. In the corner of  the living room set a Chippendale Walnut Corner Chair made in the early 18th century, valued at around $4500 . also sitting in the living room along the wall  was an early 1800s Chippendale Slant Desk  with a ectangular top which later sold for $3.700.

As I entered the large dining room . I could'nt help but wonder  was this lady actually poor  as everyone was led to believe? I thought not , after opening  an old buffet  drawer and finding  several coin books full of rare coins that  later was appraised  by a coin dealer  for $5.500 

As I continued my tour through out the home, I could'nt help but wonder  about the woman;s finances, She had enought  collaterial  to get a secured loan from  Sotheby;s Auction  House in New york,

Checking out the kitchen cupboard  which perched another  cat. Sitting right next to it was a China Cupboard  with more than 50 pieces of rare Fenton Glass  which later sold for more than $4.000

As I left the old Johnson Estate  later that day  with  10 or more cats  leading the way , I thought to myself next time someone comes to be for loose change  for cigarettes  Im gonna wonder  if he or she has enought money  to buy me a carton ,


:The story you have  just read is true,  but the names are fictitious. The entire estate  brought in more than $90.000. the home sold  for a lot less than it's contents. since no will was ever found, The estate,  after bills.  went to the State of Ohio, A daughter, supposedly out there somewhere, has to this day , never  has come forward to file claim to her mothers estate. What ever happened to the woman's siamese  cats?  Well the last I saw  them they were running down Harmar Street in Marietta,





No comments:

Post a Comment