Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 14, 2011

"Treasure Hidden In " Ole Dan Holler" By Larry Koon

I would  like to  dedicate this article  in memory of my mother Vesta (Robey) Koon who passed away in 1998. She was not only the greatest mother in the world .  she was my best friend . and there's not a day that goes by I dont think of her,

I remember many times down through the years  sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee  and my mother telling me all about a place called "Ole Dan Holler"

It was a hollow, no one ever dared to go down  into, especially after dark , that sat  adjacent to my grandma and grandpa's  Robey's farm  on the outskirt's of Ripley. Wva  my hometown .

There was a footbridge that once crossed "Ole Dan Holler"  but weeds  had covered it over  down through the years.

My mother told me that she walked across the footbridge  many late evenings in the 1930s  from teaching  at Coast Supply School in Ripley .

She told me about my great-grandfather  Dan Robey  for whom  the hollow was orginally named . who was crossing the foot bridge  late one evening around dark .

 As he stepped upon one end of the  the bridge , a man dressed in a Civil War  uniform stepped upon  the other end of the bridge. just as my great-grandfather  was about to greet the soldier, the soldier disappeared into thin air, thats when my great grandfather Dan Robey  hollered out to my great grandmother to meet him half away  back home,

After that no one was ever brave enought to cross "Ole Dan Holler"  after dark  for any amount of money. not even old nigger george they called him , who lived on the hill and wasn"t supposed  to be afraid of anything ,

My mother told me of many nights lying in bed  at night and seeing a bright light  come across the sky and shine down  into a certain spot in the hollow. where it was rumored  money had been hidden there  by Civil War troops  who had camped out there  long before 1863  when West Virginia  was still part of Virginia,

In 1997, a year before my mother passed away . I finally after all those years- got to see the place I had heard so much about at the kitchen table  and had in later years read about in old West Virginia   mountain folklore.

I would like to go back there again someday  long before dark.  and perhaps search  for the treasure  that is supposedly hidden there,

According to an old map  my mother once layed out , the spot  where the treasure  is supposedly hidden today   is only a few centimeters away  from a Columbia  Gas Pipeline  that sits Southwest of a Quaker State oil tank  that I and one sister and other relatives  today share a royalty on ,


Readers:  In 1997,A year before  my mother passed away, she  wanted  to go   back  one more time  to  the farm she grew upon  ,   known today as the  Old  Robey farm..  located just  outside  Ripley   near Sandyville,   situated   on a hill that was once known   as  :Nigger Hill" ,  the farm house my mother  lived in had been  torn down years ago,  , and the entrance to the farm today  is now gated and  padlocked with  a sign to keep out. posted by  the Gas &  Oil  Company  who today lease  the property, But we were able to lift my mom over the gates . she took her shoes off and  walked  bare-foot that day  , She was so happy to be back home ,   












1 comment:

  1. Larry I knew your mother I worked with her at the M&M resturant in Parkersburg in the late 60s , She was a really nice lady,love your columns, N. R. Lubeck. wva

    ReplyDelete